Friday, February 25, 2005

Reality T.V.

Many years ago "The Real World" came on MTV. Now I don't know if this was the beginning of the reality T.V. boom, but it is the first one I remember. A few years later it seems like the networks all picked up on this idea and suddenly there were reality shows out the wazoo. (Have any of you read "The Running Man"? creepy...) At any rate, some of them were good, some okay and, some were just plain awful. A few of them would get cancelled or run their one season and be over-with and others would run season after season.

I only checked out a few of these reality shows, but I have noticed a trend: they seem less and less like reality and more and more like staged crap. I just find it really hard to believe that more all new exciting never been seen before events keep happening week after week. I'm sure part of it is the producers "nudging" the participants and part of it is just the contestants trying to draw more attention to themselves. Quite frankly it has gotten boring. I've quit watching all but one reality show, and I'm about to give up on it as well.

I miss the good old days of "The Cosby Show." Most of the sitcoms on these days are unbearable. And then there are shows like CSI, ER and Third Watch which have become so filled with violence and gore that I am too repulsed by them to watch them. I often wonder what there will be to watch with my child when I become a parent someday.

So what do I watch, you ask? "The Apprentice" (which I have about had it with), "Smallville", "Enterprise" (which very sadly is cancelled at the end of this season), "Crossing Jordan", "Scrubs" and "Joey." My TiVo often records old episodes of "The Cosby Show," "Friends," and "COPS" also. I do check out some other shows from time to time, but those are about it. Next month the F1 Racing season will begin, so I'll be tuning in for that, as well.

For now, I anxiously await some good T.V. writers to get back in the scene and get all of the "reality" garbage off of my set and replace it with some good sitcoms.

In the meantime, I guess the lack of good T.V. gives me more time for other things like playing "Animal Crossing" on my GameCube--er I mean reading, cooking and cleaning the apartment. ;)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree, Pixie. I think "reality shows" should now be named "extreme game shows." Though, that is not an accurate description, either. I suppose the only accurate label for them are "a waste of time, energy, money, and hype."
I love Cosby Show, Dick VanDyke, and I Love Lucy. I miss the wholesome stories that happened to be funny.
I do not appreciate the violence, gore and pure crud that is littering T.V. today. And don't even get me started on the OC and Desperate Housewives.
I'm waiting with ya, pix, tell me when your tivo finds something good to watch.

I suppose the only good thing that comes from this lack of good tv programming is that it forces me to explore all those great old movies that I always wanted to watch, but never had the chance to.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Semaj said...

I agree as well, Pixie. More and more normal shows are being pushed aside for reality shows. why? because they're cheaper.
Oh, and I like gore,violence and crud when it's on fiction tv.

Nice blog Pixie

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home