Thursday, October 14, 2004

To Own or Not To Own? Guns are the Question.

Back when the United States of America was becoming a country, it was common practice for most people to have guns. Then at some point in history people stopped carrying their guns with them, stopped having so many in the house- if any at all. With the way our society seems to be shaping itself today, I’m wondering if there will be a comeback to the days of owning several guns for protection.

With the downfall of our society comes an increase in robbery, burglary, hate crimes, etc. I’ll save the downfall of society rant for another time. My point is: do we need to get back to the time of carrying weapons, specifically guns, to feel safe? And not only to feel safe, but to actually be safe?

If you had asked me that a few years ago, I would not have thought I would ever need to/ want to own a gun. As I watch where our society is headed, I have rethought that issue. It’s unfortunate that we have gotten to this point, but let’s be realistic. If some big scary looking gang member is on drugs, or heck, even if some scrawny little twirp is on drugs: THEY LOSE ANY INHIBITIONS THEY MAY HAVE HAD. Their adrenaline rushes and they become stronger than usual. They don’t know or care about any consequences. All they know is that you have something they want, and they are going to take it from you: no matter what. They don’t care if they hurt you or kill you in the process. They will kill you for your car or even the five dollars in your wallet. Now do you wish you had a gun? What if the car they are stealing from you has your six month old baby strapped into the back seat? Do you really think they are going to let you take your child out before they take off? And we’ve all seen those police chase shows on T.V. How many times does the drug induced robber total the vehicle? Now do you want a gun so you can stop the son-of-a-bitch before he harms your child?

Personally, I’d like to have several guns in my home, one in my car and one in my purse. (After all, my gun at home would not do me any good if someone was trying to carjack me.)

I have to point out an issue from the Presidential Debate last night. They were asked about reauthorizing the assault weapons ban. I just have one thought for Sen. Kerry: He spoke about how the police force wanted this reauthorized because “They don‘t want to go into a drug bust and be facing an AK-47.” Okay, let’s think about this for one minute here. They are typically busting drug-lords. They have illegal drugs. Hmmm…do you honestly think that they have legal, registered weapons??? Do you honestly think they don’t have access to get illegal weapons? So if you ban AK-47’s, then you or I can’t get one, but Mr. DrugLord and his gang members can. And so when they break down my door to steal what I have, I won’t be able to own a weapon that competes with theirs. Gee, that makes sense.

Okay, so here’s what it comes down to: our society is taking a downfall. Honestly, I don’t see a turn around from this anytime soon. People are getting worse and worse, more spiteful, have more hatred and less morals. (unfortunately with our advances in technology and medicine, Darwinism hasn’t been allowed to flourish as it should) Those of us who do have morals and are bettering ourselves and are successful need to be able to protect and defend ourselves and our possessions from the underachievers.

I don’t think guns are for everyone. I do think guns are for people who can handle the responsibility of owning them. I believe in a screening process. I believe in proper training. (What good is a gun if you are too afraid to use it and Mr. Robber takes it right out of your hands?) I believe in owning guns.

10 Comments:

Blogger filmgoerjuan said...

My understanding is that Kerry is a gun owner and, in fact, hunts regularly. He's not talking about banning guns, just a certain class of guns. Is there really a compelling reason for allowing the general populace to have ready access to assault weapons? They are really more offensive than defensive weapons, surely? I think the point of a ban is to make them less available to criminals. Sure, there will still be smuggling and criminals will still be able to get them. But it will be more difficult for them to get them, rather than just making a trip down to the local Wal-Mart. The idea is to make it more difficult, you'll never be able to make it impossible.

As for gun ownership itself, that's another matter. While I don't personally feel comfortable owning a gun, I don't see any reason why people should not be allowed to own them. I think the key is, as you said, that they need to have proper training in the use of and storage of guns. Part of my discomfort with gun ownership lies in statistics I've read indicating that you are more likely to be hurt defending yourself with a gun than if you don't have a gun. I got mugged once by two guys with knives and, although I had great fantasies about pulling a gun on them and turning the tables (after the fact, of course), in reality I probably would have ended up in even worse trouble than I was in already.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Phin Samuels said...

Pix - I am with you when it comes to society taking a nose dive. I just don't think that giving a society going in a nose dive more guns is the answer to the problem. Also having some friends die from gang violence, gave me a sour taste for any kind of gun to this day.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Cocles said...

Gotta love it.

Hey Filmgoer, maybe you should try reading Pixie's post over again, since you obviously only skimmed it the first time. She KNOWS that he's only talking about banning a class of weapons.

"Is there really a compelling reason for allowing the general populace to have ready access to assault weapons?"

Yes.

What do you think banning assault weapons will do? Keep criminals from having them.

I can just see it now, "Hey man, my name's Mr. Drug-Dealer. I manage to obtain countless pounds of cocaine every week but, gosh darnit, because of that pesky ban I can't get an AK-47!"

Do you honestly believe this? If so, I suggest you move to Oz with Dorothy.

The only people hindered by gun bans are the law abiding citizens who SHOULD be allowed to have them.

And Phinehas, so what's your point? Are you just saying you don't like guns? Or are you saying that because of something that happened to a friend of yours, I shouldn't be allowed to own a firearm to protect my family?

Point is, if these criminals wanting to rob me have AK-47's then why on earth are you trying to create a law that says I can't? Why are you punishing me? And worse, why are you rewarding them by guaranteeing I'll be no match for them when they break into my house?

Why? Because the people who support these laws live in a feel good fantasy world filled with oxymorons like "law abiding criminals."

12:23 AM  
Blogger thuringwethil2004 said...

Cocles and Pixie I am with you guys on this one. Some drug crazed lunatic breaks into my home with an assault rifle, what am I supposed to do get him with my baseball bat or a small .22 calibur pistol? I have children to protect. People obtain illegal stuff all the time. How is making assault weapons illegal going to keep them out of the hands of criminals? I'm all for the waiting period so a thorough background check can be done, but sheesh people that's what's wrong with this country. All the liberals want to make everything about "feeling good."

Today's kids are being raised with everything being about making them feel good and having good little self-esteems. The lack of discipline and natural consequences is what's making these kids grow up to be the drug dealers with assault weapons.

Nice blog Pix.

9:02 AM  
Blogger filmgoerjuan said...

What do you think banning assault weapons will do? Keep criminals from having them....Do you honestly believe this? If so, I suggest you move to Oz with Dorothy.Cocles, I addressed this when I said: "I think the point of a ban is to make them less available to criminals. Sure, there will still be smuggling and criminals will still be able to get them...The idea is to make it more difficult, you'll never be able to make it impossible." Canada shares a large, very porous border with the US, yet the number of assault weapons smuggled into the country and used by criminals is statistically insignificant. I'm sure that criminals here can get them if they want to, but the fact that they are not readily available locally goes a long way to explaining why they are not commonly used in crimes here.

The same points you've made about how easy it is for criminals to get assault weapons irrespective of a ban can be raised about a whole host of other things that the government deems illegal -- drugs, people under 21 getting alcohol, people without licences/insurance driving on the roads. People can break any law they want to, but it seems odd to justify not having a law just because some people are breaking it. Shouldn't the answer to that be more resources spent on enforcement? Tougher sentencing?

Nowhere did I or Phineas say anything about banning guns entirely. I even said "I don't see any reason why people should not be allowed to own them. I think the key is, as you said, that they need to have proper training in the use of and storage of guns." Do you honestly believe, however, that there should be no restrictions on firearms in any way, shape or form? At what point would you draw the limit? A bazooka? A howitzer? Or should there be no limits whatsoever?

I think the last paragraph of Pixie's post sums up my feelings on the subject best: "I don’t think guns are for everyone. I do think guns are for people who can handle the responsibility of owning them." To that point, a well-trained person with a handgun is more than a match for a drug-crazed crackhead with an AK-47.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Cocles said...

"I think the point of a ban is to make them less available to criminals."

Will a ban makes them as "less available" to criminals as it will to law abiding citizens?

No.

End of discussion.

4:11 AM  
Blogger filmgoerjuan said...

Have you ever considered auditioning for Crossfire? ;)

9:28 AM  
Blogger Legolas said...

FUCK i missed this... sorry for the word but....

Kerry is not an avid hunter... he says that shit so people think that he is a regular guy... He has voted time and time again to ban guns and amo! hunting amo... amo that i use in my deer rifle... I wouldn't be surprised if he jumped on the band wagon with his beloved corrupt UN, and try to ban them world wide... all guns... idiots...

thank you to cocles for explaing that banning guns from good people doesn't keep guns from the bad... in every time it has happened, (gun bans) crime went up...

think about it... you head off to an area where you are the guy that has the only gun, you don't have to worry much about death do you... but if you bring your gun to a gun crazy town, well you might not want to rob anyone, because, you have a greater chance of your ass being shot...

3:38 PM  
Blogger filmgoerjuan said...

Just in time for the holiday season, a series of gun rights greeting cards.

The "Dialing 9-1-1 Can Be Useless" one would be just perfect if the Daddy bear was using an AK-47 instead of just a shotgun :(

1:52 PM  
Anonymous ghastman said...

"Is there really a complling reason for allowing the general populace to have ready access to assault weapons?"

how about?

"Is there really a compelling reason for allowing the general populace to have ready access to [list]?"

List
=====
Books
Privacy
Really Fast Cars
Expensive, Luxury Goods
Religous Material

All of those items are don't serve any real purpose, no one needs them. It should be ok to ban them. NOT.

I find guns to be a hell of a lot of fun. From little .22 derringers to .7.62 FAL Battle Rifles. Giant .454 Casull revolvers and .45-70 lever action cowboy shooting.

Shooting is similar to golf or bowling. It's fun. Shooting fast is a blast, and bump-firing my 10/22 is as close as I will ever get to full-auto. I don't have the $250 needed for the permit, and 5-12 grand needed for a full-auto rifle. I guess the rich could afford that.

Banning them really has no affect on availability anyway. The best choice for a full-auto is an AK variant. $350 delivered anywhere in the world. Made in Romania. Billions and billions served, just like McDonalds. Just means the bad guys smuggle 'em in, just like they were anyway.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home