Friday, September 03, 2004

"Bad Words"

Words are words. What makes some of them “bad”?

I never understood the concept of why some words are considered to be “bad” or “curse” or “cuss” or “profane” words. Who decided that? Why? What is the point? Sure, it gives what you are saying a certain emphasis, but so does choosing long words or short words or alliteration, etc.

Personally, I do not understand why people are offended by hearing certain words. It is about as logical as saying that the word “pencil” offends me, so I don’t want to hear anyone say it ever again. Why?

There are different levels of “bad words”, too. Growing up, it seemed that we were limited to a short list of words that you were not supposed to say or write. As I’ve gotten older, it seems that there are a variety of other words that are deemed socially or politically incorrect. Yet as this list increases, understanding why such a thing as “bad words” seems increasingly incomprehensible.

To make matters worse, whether or not something is a bad word seems to be determined by context and what words it is accompanied by. For example: at church you can say Hell (meaning the place only), but anywhere else hell is a “bad word.” When they edit movies for T.V. you often hear (Bleep)***damnit. Well, when did God become a “bad word?” Or Ass****(Bleep). Hole is “bad?” Then you have situations where certain races would be highly offended by someone calling them a certain name, yet they casually call each other that name. Huh??

While I contemplate the stupidity of the issue, what I find annoyingly ridiculous is that when I have a child someday, I will have to teach him or her not to say these “bad words” even though I personally feel it is a load of garbage. Why? Because everyone else will, and I don’t want to get phone calls from upset parents saying: (in a whiney voice) “Do you know what my son said? Do you know where he heard it?” Basically, I don’t want to be hassled.

Then there are the people who “don’t curse.” But many of them just fill in other words instead. “Oh, I said “shoot” or “dang” or “heck” so I’m still a “good person.” I didn’t curse.” [Insert me rolling my eyes here] What is the difference? Why is using a term where you changed a few letters around in a similar context any better?

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying to infiltrate your daily verbage with all kinds of “colorful metaphors,” but if you want to say a “bad word” why not say it? After all, it is just a word. Just vowels and consonants put together in a particular order and pronounced a certain way.

So go ahead, take a step, be bold and if the situation arises, just fucking go for it! (Ahhh, that felt good :) )

1 Comments:

Blogger thuringwethil2004 said...

LOL Pixie. I never got why they chose to bleep "hole" and not "ass". Although I don't think it's cute when a 5 year old says these "bad" words. I think adults are entitled to say what they want to say. I mean some times there just isn't a "good" word to replace it with that will give you the same emphasis. Although being raised in the deep south gives me a little different view point, I'm trying to overcome that. ;)

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home